Sunday 1 August 2010

Pots and Pisco

Hola!

This has been one hell of a week (and a bit due to not writing for a while) and I will only include the interesting bits! Last weekend I rediscovered my competitive side while playing volleyball and football at a beautiful restaurant on the edge of Nepeña which hosted a menagerie or random animals including pigs, parrots and (bastard) mosquitoes. It somehow escaped my mind that football does not require you to tackle people by kicking them in the shins then stealing the ball. I learnt one important lesson that day: to abstain from sports for at least 30 minutes after eating massive amounts of pork.

In the evening we donned our dancing shoes (trainers) and went to Nepeña´s only club which turned out to be a bit of a riot. The music was mostly salsa and also the slightly bizarre Peruvian electro pop which is shockingly catchy and terrible. We were reasonably sober yet somehow the next day the photos suggested otherwise...I am fortunate to own said drunken photos and will therefore for have useful amo against any of my fellow club goers if they wish to cause me grief (which by the way they do).

They next day we took a collectivo to San Isidro market but unfortunately due to our later than normal wakeup time we managed to miss said market. I bought some peaches just so it wasnt a complete waste of time.

This week has hosted the most exciting archaeological finds in Cerro Castillo. The workers have uncovered several complete Chimu (a bit later than the Moche) pots which are seriously cool. I have uncovered several bits of llama (bones) and ceramic sheards which have caused me great excitement. Also this week, I had a chance to take part in labs which involves washing the ceramic peices, marking them and taking photographs.

Sadly, time is up for most of the first group and they are as I speak travelling back to their various homes (or exploring other parts of Peru). Due to the fact I arrived at an awkward time I still look forward to another week and 2 days here. They were a fantastic group of people and they are sorely missed. However, the new lot are to arrive over the next week so it will be exciting to meet some new people.

I must aller as in a few mintues we shall be setting up the home cinema to view the rollocking adventure of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire!

Adios for now, Lucy

No comments:

Post a Comment