Wednesday 11 August 2010

Final Countdown

In just a couple or hours I shall be stepping abourd a plane and making my way back to England. This fills me with a mixture of sadness and excitement, (I can here a bacon sandwich calling my name from across the oceans). However, my month here in Peru has been one of the best of my life and I will miss Nepeña like a lost friend.

My last weekend was incredibly busy as on Friday myself and 4 girl friends made our way to Trujillo for a saunter and a large plate of meat. We satyed in a hostal who promised our bags would remain safe as they were in the protection of the good Lord (in fact they just sat in a corner next to the front desk in obvious view). We had a fantastic meal in a restaurant named "Rustica" which contained sever mermaids and an upside down car. The bathrooms presented its viewers with prints of topless celebrities such as Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise which was a rather nice surprise. The onlly unfortunate event was when a fellow archaeologist, Holly, ordered a plate of intestines thinking it was just normal meat.

On Saturday night we returend home and spent the evening in Nepeña´s fine club where I attempted (and failed) to dance a bit of Salsa. On Sunday, we made our way to the beautiful outdoor restaurant where I exhausted myself playing football and volleyball (as well as almost getting knocked out by said volleyball).

Monday was my final day on site and I was moved to the new sector where we uncovered some lovely sections of floor as well as several ceramic faces. The heat from the sun was especially vicious and I had to rest for a while as the mountains began to spin around me. At the end of the day, the majority of the group made their way to the bar where we played a giant game of uno which lasted an hour before people began to completely despair.

And so the next morning came and I was forced to say my tearful goodbyes. I am genuinely attached the people who I have met in nepeña and it was a great pain to tear myself away from them and the village itself. I feel so lucky to have been given the opportunity to dig with Carlos and Jorge at Cerro Castillo and hope to return next year and continue to excavate at such a new and exciting site.

This is my final adios,
Lucy


No comments:

Post a Comment